Monday, March 13, 2006

Taking advantage of the weather...


I've been taking advantage of the first peek of summer in our area to work on the exterior of the boat. It's been in the 70's and 80's for the past few days. I started out with a good teak cleaning and brightening, then a light sand. I got everything taped and put on 3 coats of Cetol. We don't have much teak on the boat (thank God!), just the stern rail, the washboards, and the grab rails (pictured). I know a lot of people that just let the teak go grey, but I think on this type of boat a little bit of nice teak looks pretty sweet.
I did some of the metal polishing this weekend. There's still more to do, but I got the worst of it done- the rest can wait until cleaning day. We also started pulling the messenger lines and putting all the new running rigging on. It was a great feeling to pull off the wire to rope halyards and kiss them bye bye. The last of the rigging projects for this year is to put in the 2nd level of organizer on the port side. Lewmar doesn't make the same model anymore, so I'm going to have to stack Schaefer on top for now. I'll probably put Shaefer on the first level later- but time is up for major projects for this year!
We also had a rigger come out and start figuring out what needs done this coming fall-- looks like replacement of most or all of the standing rig, strip and paint the mast, and get new life lines. That's going to be some large boat units...
 Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment